Thursday 26 April 2012

...wondering about wandering

It’s interesting that just when I wonder whether God is talking to me,  I wander into His presence and nothing becomes something.
Bizarrely and randomly this evening I was confronted by an image of a Harlequin Mime Artist.
1. It is so dreadfully uncool and fills my memories or Arena posters from the 1980’s.
2. If you don’t remember Arena then perhaps you won’t get me.
Large images of Harlequin Pierrot suddenly filled my mind and made me wonder how such a strong outward appearance and image managed to hide the pain that the Pierrot always expressed. The face was expressionless often, except one perfect tear.
Whilst the body language, dance and music would express a whole load of emotion the Pierrot’s face remained set.
I wonder how often I go through life with one face on the outside, whilst experiencing another on the inside? Or how my actions belie my real state of emotions and I’m left wondering when or if others will notice this without the Pierrot mask cracking? And what will happen if the Pierrot mask does crack, what will be revealed, will the pieces fit back together again and if they do will they look the same?
The Pierrot tried to communicate everything through mime and dance as if a glass screen separated their physical & vocal being from those who were viewing the scene. Shouting does not cut through and large expansive movements do not convey the subtlety of the human condition.
So next time you look at me…or another, imagine there is sound proof glass between us. Can you pick up on the small movements, can you feel the emotion beyond the unchanging expression and can you hear what is being said without words?
If not, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment