Tuesday 13 March 2012

...'inspirationalism'

What is inspiration? Where does it come from? How does it feel? What does it look like? And is there any uniformity in it at all and if not how do we each recognise it in ourselves and also in others?
I’m inspired by the thought of inspiration…
Inspiration is definitely about interest but it is so much more than that. Inspiration inherently contains a whole array of other sensations and maybe even desires. So where does it start? Does the initial engagement begin as a result of an external influence or impact and is it this that leads to an internal and personal reaction? The initial impact has to be experiential, something we have learnt or experienced, doesn’t it? Or are we each born with individual inspiration barometers?  Natural and innate interest, desire, fascination and excitement preferences?
So internal or external? Bestowed and God given or societal and learnt? Or maybe it’s a combination of both? For me, inspiration seems to be an intrinsic part of who I am – I don’t know why or how certain things, people or ideas resonate within me but I do know that I have the ability to develop, enhance and deepen my inspirational ‘portfolio’. Rather than a narrowing funnel, honing inspiration seems to have an opposite effect for me – it seems to organically grow and intensify as external experiences add to the internal core.
Trying to express how inspiration feels while I am writing is easy for me, as I’m experiencing it now. I am enjoying ‘playing with it’ along with physical sensations that are heightened and quickened. It feels exciting, pleasurable and something I want to share with others and be infectious about.
From the outside in, does inspiration look like it feels? I wonder if others need to share the same or similar inspiration ‘portfolios’ to recognise my inspiration? Or can my inspiration simply be overwhelmingly infectious? Maybe our internal inspiration barometers dial up or down based on our natural instincts, resulting in inspiration noticeability – if there is such a thing!
And does what I feel and recognise as inspiration in myself, look the same in others? If others don’t physically demonstrate the same inspiration features as me, perhaps I won’t recognise inspiration within them.  Or maybe I recognise others are inspired but it doesn’t turn-on my internal inspirational barometer in the same way – resulting in a lack of inspiration.
Each of us therefore uniquely inspired…
From a Christian perspective maybe it’s true to say we were all created and born with internal inspiration to know God and develop and enhance our relationship with the Father within each of us. Jesus was sent as inspiration to help us remember to keep God at the centre of our lives, He was inspiration incarnate.
Today we each have the ability to be inspired by God within and without and to be inspired by all that God has put at the heart of who we are, for ourselves and for others.
Inspirational stuff….???
 

No comments:

Post a Comment