Wednesday 19 October 2011

...dom-da-dom-dom-dommmmm

As I was whizzing through friends comments on a social network site this evening one status caught my attention “I’m bored of being myself”.
It made me stop and think what could this person mean and had I ever been bored of being myself? And what did that mean and feel like?
Boredom instinctively feels like something that is repetitive, a routine, task or pattern that is so familiar that it no longer excites.
Does that mean that we are no longer exciting? Or simply that we cease to see, notice and invest time in those parts of our lives that can help keep us excited. It’s an internal sensation, recognition that we no longer like or appreciate the person we have become. We measure ourselves against others’ external persona and have a sense of falling short.
I say we, I mean me…
So would ‘reinventing’ myself solve the boredom?
I think the answer is contained in the final three letters of that word …dom
I don’t know whether this root ending comes from the word ‘Dominion’ but it makes sense. And if so, it actually means we each have the power, authority and control to change the ‘bore’ part.
As Christians, God has empowered each of us with choice to seek His Freedom & Kingdom.
So let’s not be happy to be bored with ourselves, God isn’t because He gave us the …dom!
How funny that on re-reading the social network comment, I realised that it actually said “I’m bored of being by myself”, a whole different phrase….
But a good prompt to remember to exercise our …dom!

No comments:

Post a Comment