Wednesday 26 October 2011

...intimate gazing

I feel like I might have done my usual and rushed through my thoughts on “…gazing”, so I’m going to try expansion on just one area and see where this goes.
Beware…this could get deeper and more intimate.
I’ve expressed how I’m aware of the power of the gaze and how particularly I have utilised this to wield a sense of ‘power’ over others.
The reality is, whilst I might know and sense this power, what I don’t understand is how it works.
Particularly when it comes to the intimate gaze…
Surely looking at another is not powerful? And if it is, who holds the power?
I wonder whether the power of the intimate gaze is held by the gazing partner or the other who allows the gaze to penetrate the outer and then inner façade?
What does it mean when one partner is unable to hold the gaze?
Are they weaker? Protective of themselves or the other? Or maybe simply not interested…?
I’ve often observed an attractive other but when my gaze is met I withdraw, scared perhaps of what the consequences might be, of where the gaze might lead me.
It’s easier to look down and break the gaze momentarily, giving enough time for each party to gather themselves. Will I look up again? Enter that emotion…? Of course
Interpretation of the intimate gaze needs to be understood and felt by both parties. There are unspoken rules and a confidence required within each interaction.
I’ve learnt that gazing takes confidence, assurance of who I am, what I want and what I can offer.
Otherwise the gaze is simply an empty promise.
What does your gaze say? And require?

No comments:

Post a Comment